What makes Biological Dentistry different?
Kindly view the video clip by clicking on the link:
Holistic dentistry also called alternative dentistry, unconventional dentistry, biologic dentistry, or biocompatible dentistry emphasizes approaches to oral health
which consider the patient's dental health in the context of their
entire physical as well as emotional or spiritual health in some cases.
It is part of the alternative health
Although the holistic dental community is diverse in its
practices and approaches, common threads include:
- strong opposition to
the use of amalgam which contain mercury and other toxic materials,
- nonsurgical approaches to gum disease,
- root canal treated teeth endanger systemic health through the spread of trapped dental bacteria to the
It is "an approach to Dentistry that promotes health
and wellness instead of the treatment of disease. This approach to
Dentistry encompasses both modern science and knowledge drawn from the
worlds great traditions on natural healing...Holistic Dentistry
acknowledges and deals with the mind, body, and spirit of the patient,
not just his or her "Teeth". And lays out the following basic principles:
- Proper nutrition for the prevention and reversal of degenerative dental disease
- Avoidance and elimination of toxins from dental materials
- Prevention and treatment of dental malocclusion (bite problems=physical imbalance)
- Prevention and treatment of gum disease at its biological basis
Many dentists call themselves Holistic dentists simply because they offer ALL dental services, not because they embrace "out of the box" techniques and concepts.